The Women’s Health Directorate at Auckland District Health Board (DHB) is now providing a new and enhanced programme for publicly fundedpregnancy and parenting education. The service is for women expecting their first baby, their partners and whanau.
Women and their partner/support person are able to access face to face pregnancy and parenting education in community locations.
In addition to the face to face classes, there is a new website Mokopuna Ora and app containing evidenced based pregnancy and parenting information.
Courses consist of 2 x 3 hour classes run over 2 weeks, or a block course of 6 hours. One of the block courses is for speakers of Mandarin. Classes are available in Newmarket (Birthcare), Panmure, Mt Roskill South, and Avondale.
The Pregnancy and Parenting Education Programme consists of a series of modules that cover:
- Changes in pregnancy - foetal development, supports and services
- Healthy pregnancy - healthy eating, exercise, and the effects of smoking, alcohol and drug use
- Pregnancy care - antenatal checks, screening, planning for birth, complications of pregnancy
- Labour and birth - choices and options, Lead Maternity Carer (LMC), labour signs and stages, managing pain, birthing, complications and immediate care after birth
- Postnatal care - care for mother and baby, family support, body changes, rights and responsibilities
- Breastfeeding and safe sleeping - infant nutrition and safe sleep practices
Māori module - narratives of mothers’ experiences and considerations for Maori parents and whānau, and others interested
Teen pregnancy module - focuses on meeting the needs of teenagers
We will contact you in writing to confirm your booking.
We do not accept bookings until women are 14 weeks pregnant.
Bookings are essential.
Pregnancy and parenting education classes are FREE to women living within the Auckland District Health Board area, and who have New Zealand residency status. If you live outside the Auckland District Health Board area, please contact your local District Health Board for pregnancy and parenting class details.
Classes are available in English or Mandarin