Seeing your LMC regularly during your pregnancy is important.
If you are fit and healthy, your antenatal checks will usually be monthly up to 32 weeks, fortnightly to 36 weeks and weekly until your baby is born. If your LMC has any concerns, she/he will increase the frequency of your visits.
Most appointments take about 30 minutes.
How to prepare for an appointment
- Ensure you arrive on time
- Write down any questions you may have
- Bring your maternity notes with you.
What happens during an antenatal appointment
- Your blood pressure is checked
- Your urine is checked
- Your weight is checked
- Your baby’s heartbeat is checked
- Your LMC will ask you questions and provide advice
- You can ask questions
- Depending on your health and the stage of your pregnancy, your LMC may refer you for screening tests.
If you have any concerns throughout your pregnancy you should contact your LMC. They are your main carer for you and your baby.